The days are getting shorter, cold weather has made its first appearance in many parts of the country, travel can become more difficult…. but last night’s extra hour of sleep reminded me that I LOVE much about this time of year. I’ll limit myself to ten things:
1) That extra hour of sleep. LOVE IT, and really needed it this week.
2) My dad turns 94 today. He’s living at home with his bride of 69 years (and some help). In some ways, he’s contributed more to my welfare in his great old age than he did when he was going full bore as a scientist and university professor. LOVE that guy!
3) The sound of leaves underfoot, the scent of fall.
4) Planting bulbs. This is my niche as a gardener, and on my property, there’s no bad place for a daffodil or tulip to come up.
6) Amaryllis and poinsettias. They make me HAPPY, and I love sending them to others.
7) The baking, or lord, the baking.
8) Heating with wood. It’s renewable, healthier from a respiratory perspective, and very centering.
10) The holidays and snow days mean more time for reading and writing.
I could go on–more time to see family, a chance to rest from the yard work, Christmas cards for those of us who do them… all good things. What do you enjoy about the coming time of year? To TWO commenters, I’ll send a $25 American Express gift card.